Of me as the teacher:
- Provide a creative teaching environment that motivates both the student and parent.
- Approach lessons with a positive, encouraging attitude.
- Provide clear instructions in a format that will promote successful completion at home.
- Assist in communication between the parent and student.
- Provide support and information to the parent in many formats.
- Inspire a love of learning and a love of making music.
- Support the development of community among the studio’s students and parents.
Of you as the parent:
- Attend lessons, take detailed notes, and make sure students listen to their recordings.
- Organize yours and your child’s daily routine to facilitate daily practice.
- Assist in daily practice, following through on what the I have assigned in private and group lessons.
- Ask questions for clarification during the lesson or later during the week (you can email me or call with questions).
- Encourage and support your child’s efforts in a positive atmosphere. This includes trying to keep distractions to a minimum during practice, sticking to a practice routine and celebrating the progress being made.
- Be creative in your approach to daily practicing and listening.
Of your child:
- Attend lessons with a positive, open attitude and a desire to participate.
- Ask questions to clarify anything that is unclear.
- Practice the assigned material at least six days per week.
- Work respectfully with your parent.
- Listen to the recordings daily, even if there is no time to practice.
- Take ownership of your music learning: be creative in how you practice, perform and incorporate music into your daily life.
By participating in my studio students commit to
- Attend private lessons once a week.
- Attend bi-monthly group classes.
- Practice the violin and listening to repertoire recordings at least six days per week.
- Perform in studio recitals.
Private Lesson Etiquette:
- Come early and un-pack your instrument before the lesson to maximize your lesson time (and enjoy the opportunity to listen to another student’s lesson).
- Refrain from texting or answering phone calls during the lesson (except for emergencies).
- Siblings are welcome but please provide them with a means of quiet entertainment.
- Please inform me as early as possible if you know you will be missing a lesson.